On Dec 19, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Marc Roberts wrote:

Short version: I tried it and I like it.

Long version: I'm accustomed to printing from Photoshop, so I don't know
why I decided to have a go from Lightroom yesterday, but I did. What's
more, I left the image in ProPhoto RGB color space and it came out
looking great. In the past I've always has problems printing images in
ProPhoto RGB color space from Photoshop and ended up converting them to
Adobe RGB or sRGB for printing. I have no idea why this should be: I
always turn off color management in the printer driver and turn it on in Photoshop and select the proper paper/ink profile, but I never get good looking prints that way from Photoshop if the original image is ProPhoto
RGB. Perhaps the algorithms for re-mapping between color spaces are
better in Lightroom because I followed the same procedure and got a
great looking print on the first try.

The only down side is that I can't use Focus Magic on images in
Lightroom - I have to export a PSD or JPEG, apply Focus Magic, re- import
into Lightroom and then print. Fortunately the sharpening capabilities
of Lightroom are good enough that this will only be an issue for large
fine art prints or a few select photos.

Marc,
If you select Edit in Photoshop and then in PS save your changes the edited file is linked back to Lightroom. Now if you can use Focus Magic while still retaining the .psd format your sharpening edit will also be retained in Lightroom as long as you don't break the link by saving the file as another name. In Lightroom you'll see OrignalFile.img (for example) and OriginalFile- Edit.psd. You can print directly from the later. Lightroom printing is awesome especially using the profiles for your particular printer & paper.

Jay