From: Gordon Goodsman <gordon_...@hotmail.com>
To: l...@red4est.com
Subject: RE: Pentax Raw files

Hi Larry,

Yes, my name does come up from time to time in the DPReview forums due to some
treatices and proofs that I have written. ;)

As to your questions, no I've never written a blog about my experiences and
observations on raw decoding other than my  contributions to the above forums.

As to the K200D bit shifting to get an effective ISO 3200, Marc Sabatella may
have determined that from some Java software I wrote some time ago that shows
the RGB raw histograms.  As to just bit clipping "just clipping highlights", if
you think about it that way all higher ISO sensitivities can be though of as
"just clipping highlights" as you can pretty well always get about the same
effect as shooting underexposed at a low ISO with raw and boosting the
exposures in post processing.  The only exception is when the Analog to Digital
Convertor (ADC) contributes a significant percentage of the noise at lower ISO
sensitivities where as it generally doesn't at higher sensitivities (the ADC
noise stays constant as the amplified higher ISO sensor noise goes up).  From a
image quality point of view, other than as noted, the image quality is pretty
much exactly the same whether higher ISO's are produced using a higher gain on
the pre ADC amplifier or by bit shifting due to the minimum noise always being
more than the missing banding codes as the gaps between codes are less than the
minimum noise and raw conversion will generally tend to fill in these gaps
anyway.

In fact, all Pentax pre-K10D cameras for ISO's of 800 and up achieve the
elevated ISO's by bit shifting, so you are dealing with it now and haven't
noticed anything.

As to determining that the pre K10D cameras do in fact shift WB slightly for
the extreme WB settings, I did this using the above mentioned Java raw RGB
histogram generator, which I have here attached as a '.txt' file to get past
any attachment filters that will object to the included '.cmd' file.  Just
rename the downloaded file to '.zip' to extract and use it.  It was originally
written by a Russian guy named Anton Malyck and I have somewhat modified it to
handle all currently known Pentax PEF files (haven't tested it with Km/K2000D
files yet though, but I assume that they should work like K200D files).  The
instructions for use are embedded in the root directory of the extracted file.

The raw WB is somewhat changed, especially for tungsten WB, but the difference
isn't huge and not something that you have to worry a lot about.  What is more
important is that you can show why there is more highlight "headroom" for ISO's
above 200 for the pre-K10D cameras in that the actual gain is changed so that
there is indeed an extra approximately half a stop of highlight "headroom".

For the Pentax K100D Super and earlier Pentax cameras (pre-K10D), raw decoding
is quite easy because the raw data is not loss-lessly compressed and therefore
does not need to be decompressed other that for un-"byte packing" which
extracts two 12 bit readings from every three bytes (24 bits packed).

Since your background is technical and somewhat related to programming, you can
likely find everything you want to know about Pentax image file tags (including
raw) using a free program called PhotoMe from Jens Duttke available at
www.photome.de.  With this, the specification for EXIF, the TIFF6
specification, and a WinHex file hexadecimal editor, all available for free
download by doing an Internet search, you are well on the way to being able to
write a raw convertor or at least a raw analyzer in the computer language of
your choice.  I have included the Java source code for the raw histogram
generator in the attachment and although this is quite a primitive
implementation able to just extract enough tags and the raw data in order to be
able to plot the raw histogram, you will see what is involved.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Gordon Goodsman (AKA GordonBGood)> From: l...@red4est.com> Date: Wed,
7 Jan 2009 00:26:00 -0800> To: gordon_...@hotmail.com> Subject: Pentax Raw files
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/events.aspx
----- End forwarded message -----

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.