Dave -

It sounds like this would be covered for the theater & arts organization, not the local paper, and your images would be for multiple uses. In that case you need to know what those uses are going to be, how many copies of various printed material are going to be produced using your images, will there be web site use and what amount of time you're going to have to invest in recording the images and post processing. They may have a budgeted amount available - ask what it is and see if you are willing to work for that amount. That way you don't give them a $400 price when they only have $100 available. OTOH, if they have a low budget you can try to "sell up" before you give them a quote.

Depending on the time investment (it sounds from your post that this could require multiple sessions over two weeks time), follow Paul's suggestion and treat it like a wedding - $xxx for a CD of nn images - still taking into consideration what your time investment will be.

You might want to put limits on the length of time they can use the images and be sure they know that they do not have the right to allow third party use of any of them. They should refer third parties to you for licensing. Third parties should not get free use off the original payment.

Be sure you retain the rights to sell additional copies of the images - attendees at special events may want prints for their personal use.

You may feel that you want to donate something to help support the organization - don't let them convince you to donate your time. It's not deductible. Charge a fair price, then make a $$ donation back to them. That way you get the tax break. ;>]

-p

David J Brooks wrote:
Sorry for another How to price this.

I received an email from one of the local paper editors(i send them
photos of events if they don't have some one there themselves).
The town has been revamping the old theater building, about 140 odd
years old, and it wil be the new theater and arts building for the
town.
Seems they are looking for a local photog guy to photography the
opening events for the two week opening starting May 9th.

She asked if i was interested and if so would get me the contact info
for me to call, email etc.

Now as you know, i shoot horses, and my "arts" event photography is
limited, but not non existent.
So i suppose my mane:-) question would be, how does one price this.

I know i'll need more info like, are they looking for 5-10 pictures to
use for advertising, web site etc.

I have lots of cameras, lenses, flashes etc so i think i have enough
gear to do the job.

Any way, just looking for some suggestions.

Dave