>> Which is certainly a good thing, but _how_? What about the matte screen
>> indicates that you're in focus, or the location of the plane of focus,
>> or similar?
>
> Ummm, because the image in the viewfinder looks sharp? Your eye and
> brain indicate that it's in focus sending a signal to your right index
> finger to trip the shutter.

You're lucky.  My vision is just not that good.  I can't shoot properly
without AF or a split screen.

A few nights ago I was playing with my macro gear, photographing a US
quarter coin just for the fun of it, and I had to take dozens of shots
to get the focus right simply because I couldn't quite tell what was in
focus.  Granted, I was using a K10D with the stock screen, BUT i do have
experience with many other kinds of screens and I know I need a split
prism if I'm going to be able to manually focus accurately.

Here's one of the macro photos:
http://www.neovenator.com/2009/04/pixel-therapy.html

Shot with the K10D, Pentax Helicoid extension tube (fully extended),
three vivitar extension tubes (can't remember the sizes), Pentax Macro
Bellows K (fully extended), Pentax reverse mounting ring, D-FA 100mm
macro (reversed and set to somewhere halfway in its focus range) and an
AF540FGZ off to the left.  I have no idea what the macro ratio of all
that together was, but it sure is fun to play with. :)

John

--
http://www.neovenator.com
http://www.cafepress.com/calemp