Larry Colen wrote:
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:05:01PM -0300, Luiz Felipe wrote:

others - very interesting. Light seems harsh in some others...

Larry, that was what struck me about these too, I'm afraid. If roses had eyes, in many of these shots they'd be squinting or squeezed shut. :-)

Really liked lrc05760. Technically, I thought you got lrc05955 quite well-exposed. I've had a lot of trouble with exposure on all-white petals. I either blow them out or underexpose the whole frame.

It was a sunny day, as the pink hue on the back of my neck for the
next few days would attest. It was also a bit breezy.

Maybe the next time I shoot flowers in a garden I should bring a
flash.

Yes; I've had great success with HSS and really fast shutters. But it takes two Pentax flashes to do wirelessly, and that makes the K20D a very heavy thing to hand-hold!

You might want to consider getting a partner to hold a diffuser for you. I'm planning to try one of those Lastolite tri-grips that I've been reading about lately.

Last summer I got my wife to hold a black umbrella over a cactus flower in full sun. To my great amazement it worked! I got a very nice macro in soft light.

-bmw