Until recently, I would have totally agreed Matt. However,
Epson r2880 vs. OSX 10.6.x
And many other examples from across the printer universe.
Some aspect(s) of the change to a 64-bit system apparently blew many/ most existing print drivers away. And for companies like Epson, Canon, and HP with a huge long list of printer models, a one year advance notice from Apple apparently wasn't enough time. Or they didn't care.

stan