I wrote:

>> So many people have said that, and of course I have no idea what the
>> story to it is.

To which ann replied:

> and I will say it too...  I think I'd have liked to see the subject in not
> quite such a tight shot..
> Did you do it both ways?  I sometimes shoot things close up and back away
> just to record where
> I took the photo - to help remember content.
> I'm guessing its someones idea of street art... who knows who might ahve
> been watching you take the photo :)

Yes, but then if we knew the story there'd be no mystery and IMHO that
mystery is a large part of the allure of the photo!

;-)

But to answer your question, no, I didn't step back and take a
"situational" photo to put it in the context of it's surroundings.
Honestly, it didn't occur to me.  I got the shot I wanted and moved
on.

Thanks for your comments and thanks to everyone else who looked and commented.

cheers,
frank