Pentax hasn't really come out that good in comparison tests when it
comes to their recent P&S models, at least not in the tests I've read,
and my own personal experience with the 750Z, which is also a model
that sold somewhat on it's looks, was not too impressive.

On the W80 (a model I was curious about) the dpreview reads, in part:

"With the W80 Pentax has managed to improve performance in some areas
while losing speed in others, resulting in a middle-of-the-pack
overall result. It was one of the slowest focusing cameras in this
group, taking 1.3 seconds to achieve focus lock (only the Olympus
Tough 6000 was slower)."

"What do you get when you take a small sensor set behind a wide-range
zoom lens and increase the resolution? The answer in this case appears
to be that you take a camera that produced quite good image quality
and turn it into one of the worst in this group test."

"With the increase in resolution has come increased noise levels, the
overall results from the W80 were not as successful as the W60. There
are ISO 3200 and 6400 settings, but with the increase in high ISO
noise they are even less useful than on the W60.

"The W80 performed much like the W60 in the water where it was not the
best but certainly not the worst performer in terms of image quality,
with the sometimes clunky menu system proving to be an obstacle to
efficient picture taking."

Pentax wouldn't be my first choice for a P&S, unless the given model
stood above it's peers.

Tom C.