On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Rick Womer wrote:

43333-43336 are great.  How did you make them?

Thanks.

I recently picked up a 20mW green laser off the net for about $25. I hung it from a string. It turns out that it seems to work best with the string attached to the bottom of the clip so that the light does not hang straight.

The camera is on a tripod with the FA31, ISO 100 f/10 and a 10 second exposure, and focused it on some glasses set up below the light. I set the light swinging, rotating around the string, with the initial impetus not through the "plumb point" to get the light to trace a more interesting path.

It works a lot better than the ones I did 35 years ago by aiming the camera up at a swinging penlight:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4319442501/in/set-72157623322026898/

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW