Larry Colen wrote:
As I've mentioned, John was kind enough to loan me his 16-50 for photographing belt tests at my dojo. I must say that I really like the lens.

I took some time yesterday afternoon to practice with it which was very helpful as I learned how to take advantage of things like the quickshift focusing. Being able to choose, on the fly between manual and auto focus is a very big help.

I was also quite impressed with the speed of the autofocus. Autofocus seems a lot more usable on it than on a lot of my other lenses. Then again it may have been more of a case of subjects dressed in black and white in the middle of an empty floor. Even so, there are some shots where it looks like it may have focused on the lines on the floor where the mats join with each other. Or that may be a case where I prefocused, locked focus and the subjects moved, as folks practicing martial arts are wont to do.

The lighting last night was less challenging in that I wasn't shooting into a lightsource. On the other hand with just overhead lights I had to push the ISO and shutter speed a lot harder to get the exposure. I'm not completely satisfied with the image quality I got last night, but I still think I got some usable shots, and if it was easy, then anyone could do it.

I'm putting the photos from all the days of testing into one collection:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157623371212307/

100220 were shot Saturday about noon with various primes mostly around f/3.2
100222 were shot Monday evening with the 16-50 wide open at f/2.8

All of the photos were shot using a monopod.

If anyone has any suggestions or tricks for getting things to come out clearer, I'm very interested.

As an aside, after giving one of my prints to a friend, I called up another friend I used to work with at the same place to tell him to check it out. It turns out that he was taking a break and doing a little photowalk on the Coyote Creek trail. So, I grabbed the K20 and 16-50 and headed out to practice. JB had his D700 and 70-210. There were a couple of times where we were discussing shots where my lens was too short and JB let me take a couple of frames with his camera. One thing that I noticed in retrospect was that his camera just got the exposure right, so he just left it on auto exposure, where with the K20, my routine is hit the green button, do a test shot, and correct. I may leave it there for a while, but as soon as the lighting changes I have to readjust.

Granted, there have been a few times that the histograms and blinkies have shown blown highlights on my camera that ended up not being much of a problem once I processed the raw. If I could get those to work with the raw data rather than the in camera jpegs, I might trust the autoexposure metering a lot more.

A world away from your Red shots, Larry. But still, decidedly sensual.

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc