On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:23:14PM +0100, mike wilson scripsit:
> Yes, I put the Pagemaker files through the same software and
> gibberish comes out the other side.  Three different brands of
> software later (with much conversation with the producers, who are
> as stumped as I) and I have to come to the conclusion that Adobe dtp
> software cannot produce pdf files.  Six months later, I print the
> document and scan it to pdf to produce them.

Adobe software has a history of being Very Uncomfortable outside of the
ASCII character set.  This is not a fault of the PDF spec, but of the
folks implementing the software. (The most recent version of Acrobat
finally went to an internal Unicode representation and stopped mangling
Chinese, but there are still some ticks and foibles in there.)

I've produced PDFs in Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese,
Turkish, Polish, Japanese, Hungarian, and fifteen other (mostly Western
European) languages, but I didn't use Adobe software to do it.

-- Graydon