Hi John,

> Right click on a location on the map and select "What's Here" and
> google
> will give you Longitude & Latitude. You can use the numbers Google Maps
> gives you as a link.
>
> If you're talking about what I think you're talking about try plugging
> 51.669177,0.003191 into Google Maps as your search term and it will
> give
> you a green arrow right in the middle of their driveway.
>
> Seems to be called "The Grange". Street view doesn't give you much
> since
> Google's street view vehicles won't go into the private drive, but you
> can tell from moving along Sewardstone Road that it's a gated community
> & they have an earth berm separating them from the Premier Lodge (AKA
> Premier Inn Waltham Abbey). Plus they're all single story units.

Immediately next door to it is the 'Bakers Arms' where most of the residents
can enjoy a meal and a drink. It isn't bad, been in there a few times.

> One problem I had at first is the map link for the Premier Inn is
> mis-located. The link icon is located in their driveway.
>
> Again, using street view from Sewardstone Road, you find that the
> Premier Inn is the larger building just south of where the map link is
> located.
>
> Then the "immediately to the north of it" makes sense.

Thanks. Yes, that's it, The Grange. Very difficult to see that driving past
on such a busy road.

> Looks like the view to the north & east would be mostly open field with
> the commercial greenhouses along Avery Rd. To the west & northwest is
> pasture (?) and then that very odd looking park-like area with all the
> mounds and curiously shaped tree planters. [GUNPOWDER - A New Country
> Park, by the sign ... you can sometimes read the signs in street view]

Most of the commercial greenhouses are no longer used. There is a haulage
company that parks trailers in one of these sites.  The view to the rear is
towards High Beech and very attractive. The view across the fields has the
access road to Junction 26 of the M25 motorway which was part of Quinton
Hill Farm. Gunpowder Park is a bit of open space and managed park land. It
was originally the R&D location for the Royal Ordnance site that was
developed for housing and the warehouse - the park was part of the
requirement for open space. The Gunpowder Mills were in another location the
other side of the town but they use the name all over the place.

> And beyond that is the housing development that looks like nothing more
> than a miniature version of "Little Winging" from the Harry Potter
> movies before you ever get to the warehouse and the motorway. I doubt
> they can even see the warehouse from their location.

You can John, only too clearly. Plus the drone from the M25 motorway is
noticeably audible much of the time.

> Probably the views aren't all that worse than many suburban landscapes.

Probably not, but I think for the location I might have wanted a little more
brick and a bit less glass.

> Plus, I think there's only three houses there. They look like the first
> two have an attached (or semi-attached) garage providing a visual
> divider between the units.

They had planning for six. It's a common issue here. Ten mins further down
the same road, a large house was demolished with land and an application for
118 houses went in. Although refused, a second application for 70+ was
granted and then we had the financial crash. They've finally moved plant on
to the site now, but from the land that has been cleared, it won't be 70 odd
houses going up.

The garages sound like later additions.

I'll take some pictures this weekend and get them posted. This road has had
so much change to it (and ongoing) it would make a great photographic
project.

Malcolm