A couple of months ago, I finally got a K-7. Unlike most new owners, I've
only really got to open the box and use it in the last week, after actually
reading the manual first (I know, very odd). I bought the ist D when it
first came out and I've never seen up close any of the other Pentax DSLRs,
until this arrived at the door. I really like the slightly bigger size and
larger screen and everything falls easily to hand. The one thing I hate is
the memory card and getting access to it - it is so darn small with big
hands. Otherwise, it is such a large jump from the ist D that in many ways,
it is like getting a digital camera again for the first time.

Yet the digital revolution hasn't really taken place in this house, even now
I use my film cameras on a regular basis, and I've assumed I'm in a small
minority of people who do so. Looking through prices of film cameras over
the last month or so on eBay, I've been very surprised to find that they are
much what they were before the introduction of digital SLRs. With various
films being discontinued, film cameras are still not heading for the shelves
to collect dust or end in collections, so it appears there is a smaller but
stable market for users of film cameras and related equipment. I'm guessing
the real division between film and digital use now is by those who earn any
form of income via photography, and film is becoming the preserve of the
hobbyist.

Some years ago, I imagined that I would slowly dispose of film equipment -
indeed, I have reduced the number of cameras I have but only for duplicates
- but the reality is that I now have two bags, one with film and one with
digital and the choice of using the selection of lenses, such as it is,
across both. I suspect the digital only choice will be made for me when I
can no longer buy film.

Finally, a quick word of thanks for the string on architecture. I went back
this weekend to take pictures of the local Huf-Haus properties, but the one
vantage point away from the road from the footpath had been occupied by a
large number of travellers vehicles, so I chose to move on. I have however,
started to take pictures of the rest of the road, because it is at a turning
point where more building is about to commence, and if I don't record it now
the opportunity will be lost. It's a three mile stretch and with the time I
have available, that is my project for 2010.

Malcolm