I have nothing so big either. I'm familiar with the "prime over zoom" concept,
Bob.
Actually, Pop Photo's SQF tests of both the DA*300 f/4 and the DA 55~300
/f4-5.6 showed the 55~300 as producing much superior resolution results at all
comparable aperture settings. I realize, of course, that's only one test and
doesn't account for sample variations.
Due to its light weight and zoom extension, the DA 55~300 almost demands a
solid rest.

Jack