On 5/18/2010 2:01 AM, Rob Studdert wrote:
On 18/05/2010, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:
I was asked to do some photo sessions at a party this weekend.
I tried to take care not to blow out the red channel when I was setting the
exposure, but when I looked at the photos in LR on my mac the reds seemed
somewhat orangey, and the dayglow pink and the dayglow orange had lost a lot
of their "pop" and their saturation.

Was this a case of my misreading the histogram, or the histogram being based
on JPEG and not RAW so it wasn't really showing the red channel blowing out?
  In future situations, should I leave more headroom in the exposure?

Try not to saturate as always when shooting "dayglow" type colours but
don't expect anything but an approximation of their appearance in post
processed images. Firstly I'm not sure if the colours actually fit in
the gamut of the camera but even if they did then they would need to
be compressed in order to fit into the gamut of the monitor. How the
CMS on the target system manages this I'm not sure, I would expect
that it would apply a perceptual rendering intent.

Thanks. I've done other shoots with the same dayglo webbing and had it work just fine. Last night I went through and processed my "best of" shots from the night and I noticed that it almost looked like one of my strobes was causing the webbing to fluoresce and the other wasn't:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4618116206/in/set-72157624084826162/