2010/5/19 John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com>:
> Doctor says I've got to eat less processed meat (preserved with salt or
> sugar), and more fresh fruits & vegetables.

Good plan and you get to lose so many other unpleasant ingredients alongside

> Been good, doing what he says, but I can't give up meat entirely, so that
> means I got to find un-processed meat.

Go find a real butcher who can still tell a meathook from a food
additive legalese ยง sign

> Ground beef ain't processed is it?

Not by the common definition of processed as in mangled into something
completely different to work with our oversaturated, desensitized,
spammed tastebuds. It is only cut into little pieces. Nothing you
couldn't do yourself with the right equipment.

> Anyway I'm making home-made spaghetti sauce tonight for freezing.

Again, good plan. Be sure to make it at home =P

> Nothing real fancy. Two pounds ground beef, half pound of mild pork sausage
> (not enough to add significant salt, but just a little flavor),

IMHO skip the pork sausage, pork is the worst kind of meat for humans
for a whole multitude of reasons. Get the flavor elsewhere. Use spices
instead.
> Some spices for flavor, mostly pepper.
There you go, you know it: Give the beef a good kneading, work in
black pepper, cayenne pepper, sweet pepper powder, some ground thyme
maybe although herbs should be added later in the process, i.e. after
adding the tomatos. For a salt substitute you can find yeast based
broth powder, it works fine and adds body at a fraction of the salt
load. Also, let some (to taste) whole chili peppers simmer in the
sauce for a while.
> Half a chopped up onion.
MORE. More onion. Adds body and saturation. Reduces the need for meat.
Buy less meat. Use butter or vegetable fat, no cold extraction olive
oil, fry them hard for a moment until they get glassy, then add the
beef in small batches so you fry it instead of steaming it in its own
juice. Add garlic after the first batch of beef. After the last batch,
crank the heat for a moment to get some more roast flavors, then pour
in 5 fl. oz. or so of broth, reduce heat, add tomatos, let simmer for
quite some time, reduce about halfway, then start adding herbs, let
gently simmer. Let cool and sit for a bit before freezing.

BTW, educate your taste, try unusual ingredients such as a dash of
Worcestershire sauce.

> can of stewed tomatoes, two cans italian style diced tomatoes with garlic
> and basil, can of tomatoe paste - all the tomato stuff is low sodium.

Use fresh garlic instead, it is much healthier than garlic extract
powder. Basil is OK if you can't find fresh. It isn't that crucial in
the first place.

> Secret ingredient - half a glass of red wine poured into the chef.

More. Good for your heart =)

> I feel GOOOOOOD!

Enjoy =)

Cheers