On 2010-05-14 20:53 , William Robb wrote:
I'm wondering what the consensus on these new beasties is?
I am planning on an upgrade to Win7 and adding some ram, and am
wondering if I should get one of these as a C drive as well.
I am thinking of one of the 40 or so gb ones, since I don't use my C
drive for anything other than OS and programs.

just noticed this buried in the Chicago thread (i use a true threaded mail reader, so if you use "reply" to post something on a new topic, it will still get threaded with whatever you reply to)

i have done some study in this area, so here are some points:

* first maximize the usable RAM in your computer; it's a much cheaper way to improve performance * if it's reliability you're after, SSDs do not mean you don't have to do backups * be sure you know what aspects of your hard drive use most affect your computer's performance -- the system and applications may or may not be the most important, so using the drive how you propose may be disappointing * SSD drives can get slower with age because of how they re-use cells, but the newer internal controllers (currently only on higher-end models) do a good job of working around that
* in a desktop
  - you can beat some SSDs with a good RAID, perhaps even at lower cost
- but if speed is paramount, then a RAID of SSDs could be even faster (though you might risk saturating a SATA II interface)
* on a laptop
  - almost any recent SSD will be faster than a spinning disk
- most will extend battery life but there are big differences in power consumption between models - another SSD advantage in a laptop is that it is almost immune to vibration & shock - most laptops have room for only one drive, and big SSD drives (e.g. for lots of photos) can be quite expensive

here's a review of model i've had my eyes on:

<http://thessdreview.blogspot.com/2010/05/ssd-review-owc-mercury-extreme-pro-re.html>