On 7/9/10, Paul Ewins <paulew...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Christine,
>                 I used some of the C41 B&W film way back and found that when
> it was printed
> on regular colour paper the contrast was way too high. I could take the same
> neg and
> print it myself on B&W paper and it would be just fine. In the end I just
> regarded the prints
> from the processor as fist run proofs for weeding out the obvious mistakes.

ISTR Kodak produces (produced?) two different varieties of C41 B&W film.

One variety was designed to be printed on standard B&W paper. So the
negatives had the correct tonal range for that.

The other variety was designed to be printed using a standard color
printer. So the negatives had the correct (compressed) tonal range for
that.

Maybe that accounts for the differences?

-Mat