John Celio's AF 35-70/2.8 arrived and is united with the ME-F that's been
sitting in a cupboard for years:
http://mitch.myzen.co.uk/PDML/_IGP5615.jpg

With new batteries throughout, it all works perfectly. AF is slow and only
works in good contrasty light. It's done by pressing a button on the lens
grip. There are two buttons for when the camera is held in landscape or
portrait. It's bulky when compared to the other M cameras, but smaller and
lighter than my K7 with the 16-50/2.8, but I can see why the format never
took off. I guess Pentax were keen to gain the accolade of introducing the
first AF SLR so had to retrofit it to a modified existing body.

I've been on the lookout for the lens, ever since a friend gave me the ME-F
as payment for taking some family portraits, more as a curiosity than
anything. When John's appeared at a good price, I jumped at it. My daughter
used to use the ME-F with a standard 50/1.7 lens when she was learning the
ropes. It's effectively an ME Super with focus confirmation without the AF
lens. One day I'll put a film in it...

Did Pentax ever make a non-AF version of the lens? There's not one on Boz's
site so probably not then.

Chris