Was going to write to Rob and Cory off list but I'll throw it open as
I'm a glutton for punishment and someone somewhere might glean a tidbit here.

Wiring explanation please!

I'm coming out of a portable computer and going into a Fostex squawkbox.
The computer audio out is stereo 3.5mm TRS (mini-jack) and the Fostex is
a standard XLR in.

Obviously I'm wanting to take the stereo signal and listen to it through
a single mono speaker.

I've bought a 3.5mm male to XLR male lead but the sound is crap and only
hearing one side! In my Land Rover I use a stereo system - a 3.5mm lead
out of the Macbook to 2 RCA females and then another lead with  2 RCA
males leading to 2 XLR males which go into 2 Fostex speakers (don't ask,
it's what I had in the parts bin). This gives me left and right audio as
needed while editing.

I took half of this setup off the Land Rover and popped it onto my
single Fostex in the house and that works fine. But the lead I bought
doesn't :-(

So - take me through from the 3.5mm jack into the lead and at the XLR
end, what should be connected to what? Obviously I've got 3 wires from
the 3.5mm jack - tip, ring and sleeve - which goes to which of the 3
terminals on the XLR - 1 Chassis, 2 hot, 3 return.

Answers on a postcard please. Then copy by hand onto a reply email :-)))

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__