Last night I tried a more rigorous test of photographing with and without a
cokin blue filter on my camera.  I also tried with and without using custom
white balance in the camera.  The following collection are the best few shots
of each of the permutations I tried:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157625421911182/

My gut feeling is that the biggest difference is due to using in camera white
balance. That it allows me to shoot with the colors more balanced without
blowing out the red channel. I'm not sure how this works unless it tweaks the
gain that goes into the raw file.  Shooting with a blue filter, allowed me to
set the custom white balance when I otherwise couldn't.  It also meant using
much slower shutter speeds, so there's a tradeoff there.

However the final product is a result of skill level throughout the whole
process, and my lightroom skills are fairly rudimentary, a more accurate test
would be to have someone that knows post processing clean up the files.  A more
practical (except for the cost) solution would probably be to get a K-5  with
its greater dynamic range, which would allow a lot more room for color
correction without blowing out highlights.