The file extension is .DNG, not "DGN".

The Adobe Digital Negative standard is documented here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/?promoid=DTEHA

A DNG file is indeed a native raw file written to a publicly disclosed
standard. There are many advantages to the Digital Negative standard,
most of which are small in practical significance at the present time
but have a great deal of future value. The primary benefit for the
present is that for some native raw file formats, DNG represents a
significant savings in disk space as it includes lossless compression
of the sensor data. Also, if you are using Adobe tools (Camera Raw or
Lightroom) to work with raw files, DNG files can contain additional
data such as your processing settings, appended metadata, etc, where
native raw files are considered as read-only so this sort of data must
be stored elsewhere (usually in file-name matching .XMP files or
embedded in the image processing engine's database, etc.).

I convert all my raw files to DNG and have been doing so since
2005ish. It's saved a couple hundred gigabytes of archive storage
space.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com