The latest version of Elements is available for around $50 until
the end of the month (special pricing from Adobe, reflected in the
price shown at a lot of on-line sellers).

Almost all earlier versions of Elements will probably support DNG;
until I upgraded to Elements 7 I was still using Elements 3, and I
was able to read DNG files from within that (just download the free
update to the Camera Raw plug-in when a new camera joins your bag).

That said; I wouldn't suggest going back to really old versions of
Elements, and if you can find anything later than version 4 or 5
it's probably going to be as expensive as the current version (9).