This is consistent with the definitions I have heard.
-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 08:46:55
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Question of terms and/or English

I've lived 51 years without knowing what acuteness is and feel none
the worse for it, so I think we can safely take it out of the English
language. Still, this seems to be a good definition I found while
Googling (to better myself):

"Sharpness is a subjective sensation. Objective correlates of
sharpness are resolution and contrast (MTF curves are one way to
represent resolution and contrast - there are other ways). The term
resolution refers to the ability of a system to separate (i.e.,
resolve) two closely spaced lines. The finer (i.e., the more closely
spaced the lines) the system can resolve, the better the resolution of
the system. Acutance refers to the abruptness of an edge. That is,
does black abruptly become white or is there a border where black goes
to dark grey, light grey before going to white."