The W90 lets you do it in camera -- set interval (one photo every five minutes)
and total duration (I think this was 7.5 hours) and then shutter button to take
the first photo and start the process. Result when finished is an .avi file
(size/framerate based on the movie settings the camera was already set to).

On tripod, of course. Screen stays off and camera is in powersave between
shots. It will let you check on progress (time remaining) by pressing the power
button (this also gives you an option to end the interval shoot early).

Joe