On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:46:35AM +0100, eckinator wrote:

> the nuclear power industry has no genuine interest in safety where
> costs can be avoided. and no genuine interest in transparency either
> if you look at Tepco's record (or Vattenfall's or ... well you name
> them) for messing up, forging records and then resorting to salami
> tactics.

Oh, I don't think anybody would argue too strongly with you there.

It's just that you seem to have some quaint belief that this is is
some way unique to nuclear power, and that coal/oil/gas/whatever
is in some way a safer option.

The main difference is that the nuclear industry concentrates their
risk into highly-visible incidents such as the one we see at present,
while other methods of power generation spread their level of risk
uniformly over the time period.  That doesn't mean that the total
level of risk over time is lower, though.