Very cool shot, Larry! I've been trying to think of what it reminds me of, and at the risk of outing myself as an old-school Dungeons & Dragons geek, I finally figured it out. There's a creature called the "Shambling Mound" in the Monster Manual:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/3183005607_b4626432ba.jpg?v=0

Now, feel free to go about making fun of the D&D nerd.

-- Walt