On 3/22/2011 2:27 PM, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:
Around here, and further south, the flahrs would 'v been shot in de holler.

Was it difficult to choose the angle as the row went to the back of the frame?
Perhaps a 24mm (anywhere from 20mm to 35mm) might have been useful there.

Still, I do wonder which film you were using in your KX. :-)

Sincerely,

Collin Brendemuehl
http://kerygmainstitute.org

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
-- Jim Elliott
I actually didn't have much trouble choosing the angle as there were really no good options. These flahrs are set about 18" off of the privacy fence, and they extend about 20 feet into the distance with highway, a utility pole and a house across the street. To the right is about a half-acre of open lawn and another house. It's all really clunky looking, really. I suppose I could have opened up the aperture more and hoped to get good bokeh, but I'm not quite familiar enough with the lens to get consistent results shooting that way, and I was trying to avoid blowing the highlights of the sun on the flahrs.

I really need to work with that 50/1.4 more than I have. I'm in love with it, really, and am working with it as much as I can -- but, it can be unforgiving and discouraging. Still, I keep getting back on the horse because, when I get it right, it's a real thrill. I do have a Sigma 24-70/3.5 UC, but I've been pretty unimpressed with the sharpness I've gotten out of it so far. But, it could be user-error more than lens quality that's the problem.

As for the film -- that's a trade secret that I'll sell really cheap if anyone's interested.

-- Walt