I've used a collapsed lightweight tripod that way ... using it as a grip or bracking one of the legs on my belt ,, does seem to help

ann

Theodore Beilby wrote:

Most of my aircraft in flight shots were taken with my F 100 - 300 hand held. Those of you who know me know that I have very shaky hands. Sometimes, I hang my monopod under the camera. I do this with the head locks loose so the monopod is free to swing if I want to go to portrait orientation. I do not extend the leg, it is just there for mass to overcome the tendency for the camera to be moved. It seems to help me be more steady but does get some strange looks from other photographers. I don't know if anyone has ever used this technique before but I have used it this way many times.
Ted

"The eye of the viewer becomes the eye of the Photographer." Albert Maysles