My father-in-law told me once of an incident that happened to him.... he was bus driver back in the days when town buses had the open platform at the rear where passengers could jump on and off. He was bringing a bus back to the main depot from one of the smaller ones, as he was not in service he was travelling about 40 mph along a long straight road, he put the indicator on and braked to turn into the depot. There was a horrible clatter and cyclist and his bike were suddenly right up the front of the bus next to him in the driver's seat. The poor chap had been drafting him but couldn't get out of the way when he braked and 'used' the open platform at the rear to get on-board. He apparently 'only' broke his leg and got cuts and bruises.

Drew.