Hi all,

out of my year (or years?) of long lurking;

Larry, I found this book an interesting read -lot of the suggestions
in this thread are mentioned in it:
http://www.amazon.ca/Michael-Freemans-Digital-Photography-Tips/dp/1600594182/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1338425392&sr=8-8

I agree with Frank, a huge number of photos I like (not thinking
necessarily about my photos, but from good photographers+) have
technical imperfections, but these imperfections are compensated with
a beautiful spontaneity and a sense of a moment that cannot be
repeated again (not all of them, but a lot of them) and I would even
say that those imperfections contribute to that spontaneity.

as I write this I'm thinking about:
http://www.bulgergallery.com/dynamic/fr_artwork_display.asp?ArtworkID=2332

and

this photo of Borges: