On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> optimizing aperture for
> sharpness is not the most productive place to spend my time and energy.

Mark!

Apologies for taking that out of context. :-)

>  That I'm generally best optimizing the aperture for the picture, and not
> trying to optimize the aperture for MTF.

Yes!!

One of the best arguments for keeping one lens on your camera for a
goodly time and really learning it, is so you can empirically
determine your own personal subject-lens-camera-brain sweet spots. For
example I've learned that f/2.0 on the DA*55 is a really sweet spot
for beautiful portraits.

I have never once pored over any MTF * charts for any Pentax lens, let
alone the DA*55. But I've taken thousands of frames with it and
analyzed and post-processed them until they hit my sweet spot for
beauty.

--
-bmw

[*] or MTBF, or BMF