On Jun 16, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Doug Brewer wrote:

> On 6/15/12 9:40 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> When there is noone else around to photograph, self portraits can be a way
>> to experiment with lighting, however when it comes to actually getting
>> decent photos, I keep running into three problems:
>>
>> 1) Framing, I just have to set the camera wide and hope that most of what I
>> want is in the frame.
>>
>> 2) Focus, It's a hell of a lot easier using a camera with autofocus, but
>> even so the camera keeps focusing perfectly, on the wrong thing.
>>
>> 3) My biggest challenge is that self portraiture is like trying to make a
>> silk purse out of a sows ear, or perhaps the whole face.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est
>>

> I've been playing around with self-portraits, though I'm not sure why. It's
> probably a procrastination thing.
>
> Regarding your list: 1.) Generous framing is your buddy, as you note. When
> you're setting up a frame, note where in the composition you're going to
> land. This leads to 2.) Focus where you're going to be. Use the tripod trick
> mentioned, or mark off and focus on your spot. Healthy DoF is your friend
> here.

I've found that autofocus seems to be doing pretty well, especially when
there's not much else in the frame.

> I can't do anything about your #3. I'm still trying to work out having a
> stand-in for my self-portraits.
>
> here are some samples:
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115347824062413314605/posts/B3iWs6hYvrT
Wonderful tonality.  Great use of the window light.

> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115347824062413314605/posts/1iQM4MKooX3
>
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115347824062413314605/posts/Dfvih2eMEyn
I quite like this one.  Great trick that you did with the light.

> https://plus.google.com/u/0/115347824062413314605/posts/SRfTKDxaajh

I like this. I think I'd like it better if you cropped it square, with you
nearly to the right edge of the frame. Not as tight as you have it in the
avatar.
'