From: David Mann

On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:04 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
Anyway, today they had a Pentax K-r with an 18-55 ($399) along with
a 50-200 ($299). First time I've seen a Pentax camera in a pawn
shop in many a year.

I used to see them all the time in the days when I popped
occasionally in to see what they had.  Saw a black K2 in there once
but on closer inspection I found that the mirror box contained
fungus.

I have a few good lenses that I bought through pawn shops but the
interesting ones didn't appear often.  Most of my gear came through
my favourite camera shop's secondhand cabinet.

I covered a 625,000 square mile service territory (commercial fire & burglar alarms) during the 80s & 90s. I had a lot of pawnshop customers. Always took a look to see what Pentax equipment they might have on hand before I left for my next call. I got a smc PENTAX-A 1:2.8 24mm at a pawn shop for $50.

I used to see Pentax all the time back in film days. I haven't seen them so much since digital. The pawnshops around here won't even touch film cameras any more.

I don't go in as many pawnshops anymore, but browsing them is still cheap entertainment.