Hi Darren,
I have the Sigma 70-300 /4-5.6 APO DG, I like its sharpness and I made some very nice macro's with it (it has a macro switch for 200-300mm) It is bulky but supprisingly light weight.
Recently I did a comparitive test with some lenses a had that covered 200mm.
I took pictures at following conditions:
only at 200mm, distance 3m, tripod, mirror up (2 sec pre time), 400ISO,  K5
My opinion pixel peeping the pictures:

Pentax and Tamron 28-200 @ F5.6 and F8 Okay (T and P very simular)
Pentax A 70-210 @ 5.6 sharp maybe the best of all @5.6, @F8 very sharp
DA 50-200 @f5.6 not good @ F8 improved a lot but no A70-210
Sigma 18-200  F8 quite good not worse than 50-200
Sigma 70-300 @ 5.6 and F8 nicely sharp
SMC-M 80-200 not so nice
Sigma 28-200 F8 quite good, F5.6 bad
Sigma 135-400 @5.6 very good, maybe the best, @ F8 super
Pentax F80-200 not bad
I will never sell my Sigma 70-300 at usual prices
Greetz, Jos