Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:41 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Rokinon 8mm fisheye for $214 @B&H and Amazon

I have a 12mm semi circular fisheye of the same vintage.  Most probably
made by the same manufacturer as the Spiritone. It's IQ is shall we say
"interesting", rather than bad.  The 8mm lenses unless they were head
and shoulders above it probably produce the same quality images.  The
Rokinon, by all the accounts I've read, is actually at least in the same
ballpark as much more expensive lenses as far as image quality is
concerned.

 I sometimes use the 12mm as a full frame fisheye on my APS-C digital
cameras but you'd never mistake the quality of it's images with those
produced by the SMC Pentax 17mm on film.

I'd expect the Rokonon iwould be a lot closer, maybe even better,
there's been a lot of improvement in lens design.

I once owned a  Vivitar 17-28mm rectilinear zoom, (which I think I paid
maybe $70 for NIB)..  The quality of the images were very good if not
excellent, the main problem was that though the lens was made mostly of
metal the focusing system was easily damaged and after about a year of
ownership I found that turning the focusing ring had little effect on
actual focus.  The plastic fantastic lenses from Pentax such as the FA
20-35 and FA 28-70 were and are much more resilient.

My point?  The results you'll get from the Rokinon are likely to be much
better than the equivalent inexpensive lens of the past, and if they use
good plastics in it's construction at least as resilient and probably
more resilient than a cheap lens of yesteryear made of metal.