On 12/04/2013 1:50 AM, Alan C wrote:
 Apartheid has been gone for 20 years but still gets the blame.

You can't fix what was a racial travesty in one generation. Until everyone who lived with Apartheid are dead and buried, Apartheid is going to resonate in your society. We had our own form of systematized racism in Canada towards the native population. Up until about 18 years ago, we had these entities called Residential Schools, whose it was to teach Indian kids to be white. The methods were simple: kidnap native children from their parents (it wasn't called that, but that was the reality), stick them into a large and unfamiliar institution and beat them for using their own language instead of English, and instill into them the core values of white society, which included sexual abuse along with the physical abuse, and then, the ones who were lucky enough to survive were kicked back into a society that didn't want them. They weren't Indians any more, and didn't fit into the native society, and they weren't white (and they were very screwed up people), so they didn't fit into the white society that they had supposedly been prepped for. And so, they became wards of the state, with multi generational welfare, rampant drug and alcohol abuse, and lots of criminal activity and violence.

This went on for the better part of a century and a half, and our more conservative elements in Canadian society figure that the problems the natives are having is all the fault of the natives.

bill