Never really done that much night  shooting.

I am, again, think it's been 5 years, taking a photo class that  ends in a
little show (mat & frame & hang pics & invite family &  friends). You pick a
theme to shoot around. I am, again, choosing an  environmental one.

There is an oil refinery nearby that is lit up like a  fairy castle at
night. They don't like you taking pictures (if they see you on  or near their
property), but there is a spot across the freeway where I think I  could get a
good night shot.

Only don't know how to begin. High ISO? Long  exposure? Never done HDR,
would that be better? (Definitely plan on using the  old tripod, and I do have
a remote.) I can try different approaches and shoot it  again on return
trips.

Frankly, any advise, links, whatever would be  greatly appreciated. I know
there are people on this list who have done a fair  amount or a lot of night
photography.

TIA, Marnie aka Doe :-)    I just need some direction to start in.