On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com> wrote:
> However - in real-world shooting: I've been shooting RAW since about March of
> 2008 - starting with my K10D, then the K7, and now the K5.  I've never had a
> problem with "not knowing what I get".  The images largely just work,
> especially now with the K5 and its more-accurate metering and much-wider
> exposure latitude.
>
> Certainly it's worked closely-enough that I can rely on the crappy JPEG
> preview of the image to know that I'm in the right ballpark.

    I just wonder what you mean by "worked closely-enough"? Have you
tweaked some settings to get the JPEG much closer to the "raw" image?

> I'd advocate not worrying about it until you come into a situation where the
> lack of specifics causes you grief (not MEASURE grief, but the inability to
> use the image) and then you can worry about fixing the problem.

    I think that in landscape (or "outdoor") photography, where there
is a lot of dynamic range, I could encounter this situation pretty
often. (Although I think I have to do something really wrong to get an
unusable photo...)

    Ciprian.