I have very much the same feeling as Zos,

I have the Metz 58AF-2 and prefer it over the Pentax 540, that I owned once.
I prefer it because of the last status memory after switch off and because it can operate in auto mode with sensor on the flash, this mode works very well in situations we
here other modes fail....
Greetz, Jos