Cutting to the chase:
A friend and I went out for sushi before going dancing.  There are some
strong artistic limitations to IR photography, the set also includes
a couple randoms from the afternoon:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157635017858426/

This set was shot at Friday Night Blues.  The thing that got me into
IR in the first place was being able to use a flash without blinding
people, each shot is processed in both color and B&W:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157635011398151/

I got my K-5 back from Pro Camera Repair yesterday.  They repaired the broken
sensor, and converted it to (full spectrum) IR for $350, which is about $100
less than CRIS wanted to just repair it.

Most of my photos in the afternoon/evening were just of random things, because
I had no idea how anything would turn out.  I snuck out of the office, and ran
down to San Jose camera. They had a 77mm, Hoya IR filter for $109, which is
about what B&H charges.  Meanwhile Keeble and Schuchat wanted something like
$240 for a 77mm IR filter.  Neither one had a 49mm filter.

I haven't been able to find a good source on an IR block filter, to convert
the camera back to "visible only".

Comments, suggestions, feedback and ideas for processing are appreciated on
these photos.  They are *very* experimental, it is almost like learning
photography all over again.  Some observations and notes:

1) In camera exposure metering is very unpredictable.  I suspect that the
metering also has IR filters over it, which weren't removed, so there is
a strong disconnect between what the metering sees and what the meter sees.

2) For autofocus:  If you are shooting in IR, use IR lights and live view, or
stop things down more.  Autofocus (on a full spectrum) is calibrated for
visible light, not IR.

3) If you get a full spectrum camera, budget a few hundred dollars for
IR block and visible block filters for both primes (49mm ish) and Zooms
(77mm ish).

4) The color adjustment in LR doesn't go far enough, in either temperature
or tint.  I will eventually experiment with two pass color correction, exporting
the file to DNG or TIFF, then running it through again.

5) Accept the fact that photos will look weird.  Don't fight it, go with it,
and figure out ways to make that weirdness work.

6) When things do correct to closer to natural lighting, they'll end up
kind of flat and pastel in shading.

7) For working with IR, you really want a camera that works well in Live View
mode.  You really want to see what the camera will be seeing.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc