On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I also like the low-key shots better.
>
> If you are interested in some more detailed comments, their a below.
> Please excuse the amount of text and the critical component of these
> comments.

Igor, I welcome your critique, and I'm grateful to you for taking the
time to write a thorough one. If I wasn't prepared to take the heat
... :-)

> There are two main reasons why I like the low-key images better.
> First, in the high-key, the "paper-white" (pun intended)
> background makes the entire composition sort of "hanging in the air".
> (And, in a more subtle way, if I realize (from seeing the floor) that
> they are actually against the wall, that gives a strange impression
> of them being pressed against the wall.)

You are actually getting my intended meaning and look then, Igor. I
wanted them to look 2D, flat like paper -- "paper-white" even (though
the wall is actually warm off-white). I arranged the three softboxes
around me where I was shooting from so as to give the scene completely
flat lighting and produce those curious surround shadows typical of
ring-lights. They become paper cutouts themselves. They look a little
other-worldly and unnatural

You are free to choose whether you like the look/effect, of course. ;-)

> That's why the shadows in the low-key shots do their job well.
>
> The second reason is that the low-key shots do not contain the problem
> discussed in the second part of this message.
>
> As for other minor comments:
> I would consider bringing the shadows up a bit on the second image, as
> it appears a bit darker (especially with the darke skin tone).
>
> To be very nit-picking (and I don't have much of personal experience of
> setting up the studio lights this way), - in the image 3 (2b),
> I would have the model turining her head just a few degrees to her right
> (or widen the lights on the photographer's right), to reveal a bit more
> of her shadow-side [left for her] eye.

Yeah, that too-dark eye bothered me too. I'm trying to embrace shadow
more though, and I've got plenty of examples of faces even more
severely shadowed so I figured I'd leave it for now and see if it
grows on me or what.

> That's about the purely photographic side of this gallery.
>

> Now, I would comment on what has been increasingly bothering me recently
> (my pet peeve, if you wish).
> Usually this is not much about the photographer, but the subject of
> the photos (models in this case).
> Typically it happens in the shots that do not include much of "dynamic"
> motion. Those are either posed shots (studio), i.e.
> the shots where the motion is completely frozen, or on-stage shots (e.g.
> not-the-top-level-show musicians on stage, not-the-top-trained fashion shows),
> where the motion is not considered to be the 1st priority for the
> main action (as in musicians on stage).
> The reason for this is that the subjects are not properly trained for the
> positions of their body, and especially limbs.
> AFAIK, the top-level fashion models have at least some dance/ballet,
> ... training as a part of their walking technique training.

Nope, not that I've seen. Dancers are highly prized though. I hope to
shoot with one shortly.

> The same is applicable to many top-level music performers, especially in
> pop, pop-rock, musical, etc. -- Those genres that give a lot of attention
> to the on-stage action, and the musicians (especially the soloists)
> get trained how to move on stage.
>

> I think this is the first time I noticed this in your photos.
> In this GESO, it is especially noticeable in the last two photos.
> Those poses are rather awkward and non-ergonomic as seen in several
> aspects (to various extent).
> The first thing that struck me is how the feet are turned in.
> This is most noticeable in the last two shots. The models appear
> as they can barely walk in high-heels.
> (My wife tells me that there is some niche of mid-level fashion shots, -
> such as Macy's, J.C.Penny's, etc. sales advertisements, - that suffers
> this problem. She says that apparently some consider it to be fine and
> even beautiful.) The knees are also turned in (that's a concequence of
> the feet position).
> The right hand of the light-skinned model in the last shot also has
> a bit awkward position. (The photographer can be partially blamed for
> this, but I would argue if the model were well trained for this,
> and the rest of the pose were less frozen, she wouldn't have had this
> awkward hand position).

I might have saved you some angst if I explained that I was trying to
get them to dance The Charleston for me! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJC21zzkwoE

Note Step 3: turn your feet in and out. I was trying to coordinate
them and capture some "typical" Charleston moves or looks. It was fun
but only partially successful.

> In the second to the last photo, even though the hand positions are
> less unnatural, they still seem to be somewhat like those of a barbie-doll.

Somebody suggest they try doll moves. I let them do that for a while.

Samantha, the darker girl, is a dancer -- though not the Charleston --
and has very fluid and graceful motion. If I had stuck with just her
and spent more time I could have gotten more natural, less awkward
poses.

> I actually discuss some related concerns in my "dancers and photography"
> workshops, - primarily for the benefits of dancers, but also for
> photographers to know what to watch for. There, it is even more important,
> as most of the time the dance is the transition between poses, not
> a frozen ("struck") pose.
>
> Last December, I was shooting at the jazz concert of the daughter
> of our friend, a prominent professional photographer. At that concert,
> I saw exactly the same situation: the poses the singer held
> (and the moves) where at times very awkward.
> I discussed that situation with my wife, who had exactly the same
> impression. But the situation was such that we were not in position to
> offer our advice. We both thought that it's possible that nobody ever
> pointed it out to the young lady.
> As a result, I scrapped a bunch of shots that contained an awkard pose,
> and, in some cases, had to go with a somewhat technically inferior shots
> (the ambient stage light was harsh, and I was shooting from a
> fixed point in the middle of the audience, 4th or 5th row, frequently
> pulled by my little daughter).
> So, in most of the shots posted, the awkwardness of poses/motion is not
> noticeable: http://42graphy.org/music/olivia_harris/

I certainly have seen for myself that the most seasoned and
entertaining performers have the best poses and move more confidently
than their junior and less interesting counterparts.

> Igor
>
> PS. Apparently, I am not the only one concerned about this "trend".
> Here is a fashion blog (in Russian):
> http://fashiony.ru/page.php?id_n=33076
> that featurs a bunch of fashion photos that suffer the "clubfootness".
> Google translation: http://goo.gl/x6if7R

I'm not trying to follow a trend, that's for sure. I was pushing a
personal envelope in trying to get two models to dance and catch some
good poses, so I'm unsurprised to largely fail. But I got a few shots
I was reasonably happy with. I really like shot #1: some action, the
off-kilterness.

Thanks, Igor!

--
-bmw