On 04/09/2014 9:48 AM, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Bill,

What is it?

It looks like DJI Phantom 2 in something like this configuration:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044729-REG/dji_phantom_2_vision_plus.html

You got it in one Igor.

But it has those "safety" (?) arches under the propellers.
So, I am confused if it is just an add-on, or I mixed it up, and it is a
completely different quadcopter?

I put the the prop guards on to protect the machine if I bump into something with it.

Please, report back on your experience after the first week or two, I am
curious 1) how you settled on this model

The DJI's are pretty much the most user friendly machines out there right now. Very simple to fly and they have all sorts of fail safes on them to keep the pilot out of trouble. The Vision 2 plus is a sideways version of the Vision 2, in that it comes with the camera built in rather than having to add it to the machine (which would be a Gopro Black right now). I did a lot of checking around and the concesus was that the DJI camera and the Gopro are of very similar imaging quality, but by the time I got the Vision 2 outfitted I would have spent several hundred dollars more than I did. The machine I bought uses a smart phone as the camera controller rather than having to buy a dedicated screen for first person view (seeing what the camera sees in real time).

From what I read, the Vision 2 Plus is the lowest cost machine capable of giving "professional" results. The camera is 14mp/ 1080px60fps video, and seems to do good video. It's mounted to a three axis gimbal, so the machine can be pitching around quite a bit and maintain smooth video.

and
2) what's your first week's experience (regrets, etc.)

I've only done a few flights so far, I won't bore anyone with the videos (well, unless asked), but so far, I'm very happy with it. The only frustration with it, and I fully understand why DJI has done what they did with the software is that it doesn't fly very far when close to an airport. I live about 3lm from our local aerodrome, and in the school ground a couple of blocks from where I live, I can fly to a fifty foot altitude and 50 feet from the launch point. It's like it runs into a wall when it hits the limit. Having read a few very scary stories of quad copters being used badly, I'm not unhappy with the compromise, I do feel it is a bit more limiting than it needs to be though..

bill