I came across this exact issue in a Halfords (vehicle supplies shop in
UK) car park. A young woman asked me to look at her car and see if I
could give an opinion on why the starter wasn't turning the engine
over. I went through the usual stuff - flat battery, starter jammed
etc and then she said "I just topped the engine oil up". I asked her
how much oil she'd but in and she showed me a 5 litre (approx a
galllon) container. "That much?" I asked - and she said "no, one and a
half of them". I took the filler off and the oil level was near the
top. I suggested that she drain it off and she said that she'd call
her dad. How they managed to drain it in a car park I can't imagine...

Chris