On 9/29/2014 9:08 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2014-09-28 20:16 P.J. Alling wrote
No, first Clinton administration, his party owned both houses, In March of
his first year, congress passed and Clinton signed a tax increase
retroactive to the beginning of his administration.

and Reagan signed a retroactive tax into law in 1987; and Ford singed a retroactive tax in 1976

It was widely believed
that the law would not stand, as the constitution strictly forbids Ex Post
Facto legislation.

… for criminal law only

The Constitution makes no such distinction. It is simply mentioned in the same sentence as the prohibition on bills of Attender. Article 1, Section 9. Which is consists of limitations on the powers of Congress.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen