Hy there all!

I was thinking at getting the Sigma 18-35 to replace my kit lens (DA
18-55 WR) for wide and normal focal lengths (mainly landscapes), but
after reading the Pentax Forums review [1,2] regarding the autofocus
issues (admittedly only while using phase-detect) I completely changed
my mind...  (For that amount of money, the fact I don't use live-view,
and that accurate manual focus is almost impossible on current DSLR's
without live-view and focus peaking, it makes this lens unusable for
me...)

However I thought to ask you guys, especially those that have used
such a lens, if it truly has issues at focusing with phase-detect?
(Perhaps you upgraded the firmware?  Perhaps you have newer variants
of this lens?)  To be clear by "issues" I mean the outcome is mainly
(and noticeably) back-/front-focused, while shot at large apertures or
with close subjects, thus opposite to situations when large
depth-of-field would mask such a problem.

Regarding the review, the issues being reported don't seem to stem out
of sample variation, as they tested about 7 of these on multiple K-3,
a K-50 and a K-30, and the outcome was the same.

Thanks,
Ciprian.

[1]
http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sigma-18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-art/autofocus.html
[2]
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/sigma-18-35mm-autofocus-a-second-look.html

P.S.:  Playing "lens-roulette" (that is buying one, testing it,
sending it back, and then possibly looping) is not an option for me...
:)