On 9/15/2015 5:23 AM, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 14/9/15, Ken Waller, discombobulated, unleashed:

Its probably a sad commentary about today's media that something of this
nature would be published as news, but it was picked up by the UK's Daily
Mail and was published today.

The reality is that online publishing requires massive amounts of
content, and that filters right through to all types of readership.
Pictures are an essential part of that content - especially a series of
pics like this. Even though things like plastic owls have been in use
for years, there will be millions out there who have no idea that this
scenario exists. It's a perfect story for the Mail.

This sort of thing doesn't come under 'news' so much as 'light
entertainment'. But the umbrella is news, so yes it is!

I wouldn't say it's a sad commentary on today's media, rather a
commentary on today's online society that devours content. The media
merely fulfils a role in providing the content for that meal!

It's what I was taught in photojournalism class is called a "Feature";
defined as any story or image that makes the reader/viewer go
"Ahhhh...". Newspapers were doing them long before anyone even imagined
the internet.

In the age of the internet, "news" is Feature friendly, otherwise you
wouldn't find many cat photos.