On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 3:28 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> It is my experience that to a first, or even a second, approximation the
> representation of anything on TV or in movies is a load of crap.

TV occasionally does it well:  Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos,
Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, The Americans, Homicide --
Life on the Streets, Rome The Vikings, and a few others.

>Glen did mention that the US asked his father to join the military, and his
>response was "Sure, as soon as you let my >family out of the camp".

That is the position taken by the "protesters" in the play, including
the war hero's father, sister and brother-in-law.  It was also the
position taken by Takei's father, which go the family sent to a
harsher internment camp.

On a percentage basis, fewer Japanese Americans in Hawaii were
imprisoned than on the mainland, because many were essential to
businesses related to the war effort, but the number was still
significant and tragic.  No Japanese American was accused or even
suspected of espionage or sabotage during the war, and in every case
Japanese sailors and soldiers who came to the islands by accident or
carry out acts of war were immediately turned in by the Japanese
Americans they hoped would shelter or assist them.

The Honouliuli Internment Camp, Hawaiʻi's largest and
longest-operating internment camp, opened in 1943 and closed in 1946.
Located near Waipahu on the island of Oʻahu, the site was designated
Honouliuli National Monument byPresidential Proclamation on February
19, 2015 by President Barack Obama, himself a native of the Islands.

Dan Matyola