On 11/8/2015 5:25 PM, Bob W-PDML wrote:
I went with some friends to the Lee Miller exhibition at the Imperial War
Museum today - it's a superb exhibition and I recommend it very highly.

I took my Fuji X20 with me because one of my friends has one on my recommendation
but couldn't figure out how to set it to black & white only, which is all she's
interested in shooting. So before going I set mine up - I normally shoot raw - so I
would know what to do, and would look like I knew what I was doing.

I took some snaps to see how it all plays out. This is one of them, and I have
a question about it.

http://www.web-options.com/IWM.jpg

If you enlarge it to its full size the 'grain', for want of a better term, is very
blobby as if I'd shot it through rippled bathroom glass. I don't think this is
noise - the iso was 200 - but it's pretty ugly. I've never noticed anything like
this when rendering in b&w from raw.

Is this normal for in-camera b&w jpg?

Whether it's normal or not, what is the cause?

Ta,

This is just a SWAG, with *NO* actual expertise to back it up, but could the camera be using only the data from one channel to create the B&W image and what you're seeing is the pattern of the Beyer sensor?