I don't use ad blocker software as such, but I do have a hosts file that
redirects the likes of ad.doubleclick.net to 127.0.0.1 (aka perdition).
That along with NoScript have kept me insulated from worst of the
advertising abuses on the "free" internet without creating an undue
burden on my browser.